Points of interest from the broadcast (which you can listen to on the CBC site linked above):
- The # sign is also known as “octothorpe.” (Oughta be a band: The Octothorpes)
- “Discursive functions”: hashtag as meta-commentary is a kind of ironic self-effacement. (I think you’re seeing increasing meta-use to go with ((see below)) declining “original purpose” use.)
- “The hashtag convention…is a vehicle for organizing our discourse in certain ways.” It’s not to blame for how annoying you may find #YOLO.
- Hashtagging: No Longer Cool, because, like, everyone’s doing it.
- Adding “Awkward!” or “Fail!” at the end of sentence has become a verbalized hashtag, an example of “how our online interaction can infect our offline conversation… . We are hashtagging implicitly.”